Thursday, April 22, 2010

Erwin, TN

Cyg and I were the last ones out of camp this morning but we didn't care. It was a beautiful morning and we only had six miles to lower elevations, town, food, and resupply. We were stoked and we hiked out. This mornings conversation dealt with pyschology and some of the experiments that have done on people in the past. Like I have said before, conversations can cover a myriad of topics. Three days ago we were discussing physics and the concept of a voule.

Our plan was to get to Erwin, go to the post office, grab lunch at the diner, go to the grocery store, and head straight back out of town to the next shelter, resupplied and with full stomaches. We hit the outskirts of town, passing by Uncle Johnny's Hostel, around 10:30 figuring we would swing by there on our way out. It took three cars before we managed to hitch a ride. I still and will always say it is SO much easier to hitch a ride when you have a girl with you!

He dropped us at the post office and from there we walked down the road to the restaraunt where we both ordered up a triple burger and extra fries along with coffee and a tea. We proceeded to try to fill that bottomless pit that was our stomache. After eating we just sat back, relaxing and marveling at how warm it was. I had actually changed into shorts and a T-shirt for the first time on this hike.

I was idly staring out the window when Cyg quietly said, "We could just stay in town tonight." I quickly looked at her and in a micro second said, OK, Fine with me;" We both started laughing and I accused her of being a bad influence to which she said something to the affect of having to try real hard to convince me!

So, I headed for the grocery store and she to the library. After taking care of business we met back up and started for Uncle Johnny's where we could get a bunk, laundry, and a shower for cheap. Later, we sat and chatted with Jacob and Gabe, brothers that were hiling but getting off for a bit to rest up an injured knee. I looked up and spotted Shlep coming off the trail. If we had pushed on we would have missed her.

The usual talk continued, food, where people were on the trail, food, injury, food ... Do you see a pattern developing here? It was great to just hang out. The hostel has a shuttle that runs into town three times a day so you could fill your belly at every meal.

To make a long story short we took a zero day the following and plans began to change. Jacob and Gabe were trying to get to NYC and Cyg was thinking of some time off and she didn't live to far from the city and I heard rumors of possibly having some work. At the all you can eat pizza buffet I ran my idea past Jacob and he thought it was a good one. The plan consited of me getting back to Atlanta, grabbing my car, coming back to pick up the three of them and then head to NY.

I called Jim and told him the plan. He said that if I could wait till Saturday he would come get me. That was fine with me and the rest of the group so we just hung out at the hostel. The weather had turned nasty again so hanging around outside was not an option. What do you do when you have a day and a half to kill. You play cards, talk,sleep, and learn to dance.

At one point on the trail Cyg and I were going over our "bucket lists" and I told her that I had always wanted to learn how to swimg dance. Little did I know that Cyg was a swing dancer so that Friday afternoon she proceeded to teach me the basics. The step is pretty basic (a six count step and the Lindy is an eight count) but it took me awhile to get the hang of it. After learning the step Cyg showed me the basic moves to get your partner to do a certain twist and the different ways to get her to come back. It was pretty amazing how just a change of hand position or pressure on the back communicates how the step out or return will go. It was a lot of fun and we spent at least an hour at it. Cyg was a patient teacher especially with two left feet like mine!

Saturday afternoon arrived and so did Jim. He threw out the, why don't you all come to Atlanta and you can leave from my house in the morning, line so we all piled into his car and went to Atlanta. Upon arrival at his place he treated us to pizza and some deadly cocktails. It was a very late night to say the least and we elevated Jim from "trail angel" to "trail archangel". Thanks for everything Jim!

The next day we started the long journey north and it rained the whole way. We made it as far as Philadelphia that first day and the next morning I dropped the boys off in Hoeboken, NJ so they could catch the ferry into the city. From there Cyg and I continued on.

By the time we reached her place I had had about as much driving as I wanted to do but there were still a couple of hours left for me until I hit Rob's place in MA. Cyg said I should just stay at her place and head out the next day. It didnt take a whole lot of convincing! From there the journey was soon over which brings me to now.

I am currently on Cape Cod working with a fellow caretaker from the Whites. We've been painting houses and we have one more to do. Starting on the 28th of April phase 2 of the adventure will start. We are going to go back to Rob's place and hike north on the AT from Dalton, MA and hopefully make it to Gorham, NH before we have to report for work. This will be about a 300 mile trek and we Are jazzed about getting started.

So, that's it for the first part of my 2010 AT trek. Phase two will be chronicled so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment