Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Amicalola to Neel's Gap

We started hiking out of Amicalola around 2:00. My pack weighed in at 37 pounds. I am carrying a lot of clothes and I will be trying different combinations at night to see what keeps me warm. The rest I will send back with Jim when he leaves on Tuesday.

After about an hour it hit me. This isn't that bad. I wasn't looking for the giant oxygen in the sky and screaming for someone to bring a crash cart!. It really is amazing what 5 years and 5000 hiking miles will do to get you in shape and you don't realize it. All and all it was an easy childbirth. I didn't need the epidural at all!

Because of the late start we decided to stay at Black Gap Shelter, 1.5 miles from Springer. It was a good call because I have always hated rolling into camp and having to set up when it is dark. I like to enjoy some of the evening before darkness falls.

One real good thing is there is no snow on the ground. From all reports I expected a lot of snow. There are a ton of blowdowns on the approach trail however There were a lot of day hikers on the trail. I felt as if I were at Liberty Springs.

We made camp, ate, and drank a couple of one of Jim's recipies, The Cocoa Loco and then it was time for bed. Tomorrow we plan on about 15 miles to camp at Justus Creek.


I woke in the morning with a smile. My first thought was, "I am home". I probably had my best nights sleep in a long time last night. It was great!

The day's hike was good. The only problem was the weatherman. He lied. There was no sun, no 50 degrees, lots of wind and cool. You sure didn't stop long when you stopped for a break or lunch.. Since I usually leave camp first I set up place to meet for lunch and I motored on out. It wasn't too far past Springer that I ran into my first character out here. He was on the side of the trail, stuff from his pack strewn everywhere. He looks at me and asks if I want anything. He was doing a pack shakedown right then and there because he was too heavy. He had me laughing in no time. He reminded of the guy in Bryson's book. I almost completely lost it when he said his name was Overload. Funny guy and I did relieve him of some peanut butter!

At Hawk Mtn. Shelter we added 2 to our little group and the 4 of us ended up at Justus Creek. There was my first, "Wait, what just happened", moment. I looked around for the footbridge and then realized I had walked into a major newly opened relocation of the trail. It was pretty cool and I do look at trails differently since I have been working on them. This work looked like it was very well done. The only sad part is the trail now takes you away from the water.

Another day down and 15 miles from Springer. Good stuff!

March 1
-- Once again I was the first one out but we had made plans to meet up at Woody Gap. It was a beautiful day! The sun was out and there was no wind. I freely admit that I am a child of the sun. Sunny days just make me happy.

I moseyed along and hit Woody Gap about a half hour before the others rolled in. While waiting I ran into a "good 'ol boy" coming out of the woods. I was a little taken aback when I saw he had a bow slung on his pack! We got to talking and he said he had been in the woods since November. He was heading to town to get a new sleeping bag. Interesting fellow to say the least.

The four of us pushed on to Woods Hole Shelter, 3 miles from Neel's Gap. We wanted to be close because the weather is supposed to turn tonight. It was early to bed. I'm a little sore but into the trail (from the approach) about 36 miles. Feeling good.

March 2 - Woke up in my igloo this AM. It snowed and is snowing but I was toasty warm. I quickly packed, talked to a few of the hikers in the shelter, and realized I was going to be the one breaking trail today. I guess it is a good thing because going over and down Blood Mountain can get you lost on a good day. At least I had an idea of how the trail angled.

Being the first on the trail after fresh snow is a trip. Depth perception sucks and I kept jarring my legs and knees hitting holes where I thought it was flat. I reached the top of Blood Mtn. and started down. Honestly, I am glad I was first because I did spend 15 to 20 minutes searching for the trail. The snow covered everything and I knew the trail was not to far down the rock face. I finund it and then went back up to make a trail through the snow for those coming behind. Hopefully it doesn't gewed over before they hit there.

I made it down to Neel's Gap where I have decided to stay for the night. They have a hostel here and the weather is pretty crappy. For those of you that know them... Ramblin' Man and Baltimore Jack are here. Miss Janet is supposed to be here later today. She'll be running the hostel this season!

No comments:

Post a Comment