Friday, March 19, 2010

NOC to Newfound Gap

March 12 - 15 --- "You know you've been hiking too long when you look at the Nantahala River and think, what a great water source, to bad it is so close to town".

I had to smile when I saw this. At the NOC I found the hiker register for 2005 and this was the comment Break-a-Leg put in it on March 31. We had hiked together from the start and would for another 300 miles. My comment was, "In for lunch, laundry,and then out." That made me smile also because later that afternoon we ended up checking in for the night.

Last night turned into a little party. About 14 of us were here. Mostly the people I've been seeing since the start. Like I've mentioned we are the forefront of the herd to come and it has already developed into a cool little group. Good people to be around. Unfortunately this may be the last I see of them because of my plan.

Moonpie made it to the NOC and we made our way to Sheltowee and Waterfall's place in Franklin. They were putting us up for the night. The main reason Moonpie had come down was to give a talk to the Nantahala Hiking Club that evening.The NHC takes care of 90 miles of the AT in the area. They are quite active and it was great to meet some of the members.

The one funny thing about meeting the member's was when one lady walked up to me and said, "Were you hiking in Vermont last October"? I looked at her while thinking how do you know that. "With that girl and her dog", she said. Again I was startled. "GG", I replied. "Yes! GG. we saw you two on Killington". Talk about a small world!

After the meeting Sheltowee, Waterfall, Moonpie, and I stayed up way past hiker midnight just chatting. The next day we all went to breakfast and then Moonpie and I headed to Newfound Gap. As we drove up the mountain to the gap the snow began to appear again and my apprehension began to build. She dropped me off, I shouldered my pack and began the 3 mile climb to the shelter. I am going to leave it at that because what transpires over the next 48 hours deserves an entry by itself.

I want to give thanks to Sheltowee and Waterfall for sharing their house and for their wonderful generosity. For any of those interested I first met Sheltowee on the PCT in '08. Of course I cannot leave out Moonpie! It was good to see her again. Thanks for everything Moonpie and I'll see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment