Sunday, March 7, 2010

Neel's Gap to Low Gap Shelter

March 3 - Neel's Gap is the home of the Walasi-yi Hostel and Outfitter. The AT actually goes through an opening in the building, the only place on the trail that does that. Here is where many a hopeful thru-hiker gets off the trail, realizing that it is not for them. It is also a place where many hikers regear, realizing they are packing way too much weight. I have seen several hundred to a thousand spent on new gear here.

Since the snow was coming down pretty heavily and the wind was blowing steadily I decided to call it a day. I got a bunk in the hostel (first time I have stayed here) and went to dry some stuff. Jim made it down and managed to get the shuttle back to his car. It was fun hiking with him the last few. Thanks for everything Jim!

The AT is like an accordion. Lots of folks spread out over many miles but there are certain things that compress the accordion. Things like certain towns, hostels, and weather. Weather is the great compressor because no one wants to be caught in a big storm!

With that said 23 hikers ended up at Neel's Gap on the night of the 1st. Over the next few days it will be bunched up and the accordion will expand again. My plan was to get out early, 7:00 AM which meant I would most likely be breaking trail. This plan lasted until I woke up. It was 21 degrees and the wind was howling bringing the wind chill to single digits if not lower. I may crazy but i am not that crazy!

Time moved along and 7 people headed out before I made my move. At least I didn't have to break trail (or so I thought). I trekked up the hill and into the wind.

Walking in fresh fallen snow is actually a lot of fun. Everything is so pristine white and when you get past the ridgelines the wind dies and the silent beauty is too hard to describe. I have never hiked for many miles in snow like this and I do like it. As long as you are warm you are good to go although, in the back of your mind you realize you are going to be hiking in wet socks and shoes for days to come.

I don't know how it happened but I started passing those in front of me. Soon I was number 3 which meant I was breaking trail with Peter and Brian, the 2 guys we had met early on. Breaking trail is not a lot of fun especially when you're going through thigh high drifts. Thank goodness most of the trail was under 6 inches of snow. All in all though it was a great day! 16 of us ended up at Low Gap Shelter, 11 miles up the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment